Mrs. Gravy and the Food Lady

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Happy New Year!! Almost anyway... just a few more hours!!
Kelli wanted me to post the Sangia recipe and since I just made some last week for Christmas day at my sister-in-law's and again yesterday for a party tonight, it's easy enough to remember. I make a gallon at a time. It's easy enough to add or subtract, depending on how much you'd like to serve.

SANGRIA
1 navel orange, thinly sliced
1 lemon, seeded and thinly sliced
1/4 C. sugar (see note to follow)
1 C. orange juice (I like pulp-free)
1/2 C. triple sec
1/2 C. brandy
red wine (see note to follow)
Club soda or 7 Up

Mash and muddle the fruit and sugar in a gallon pitcher. (note on sugar: sometimes I don't add it because I plan on using 7 Up instead of club soda at the end.)
Add the OJ and mix, shake or stir well.
Add the liquors and mix again.
Add the red wine to about 3 inches from the top of the pitcher.(I like to use Franzia's Chillable Red...yes, in the BOX. I've used Cabernet, which is good, Merlot, which is a bit heavy and Shiraz, which was worst of all! Chillable red is kind of light and works well.)
Mix again and chill until ready to serve. Right before you serve it, taste it to see if it's as sweet as you like. This is where the 7 Up comes in. If it's sweet, use club soda... if you want it sweeter, use 7 Up. (Actually, I like diet 7 up or Sprite Zero. Who needs the extra sugar?)
You can add the club soda (or 7 Up) to the pitcher or pour it in the individual glasses. Just make sure it's as chilled as the wine.
Great over ice in the summertime! Actually, it's good anytime friends and family gather... like Christmas and New Years! And like my chili, it's really best served the next day. Let all those flavor "marry" and the fruit soak up the wine... it's very pretty, too.

A quick note about the chili while I'm here... It's very thick and chunky and SPICY! (It would be good in a bread bowl, Alene!) I like to serve it like the schools chili we grew up with, a cinnamon roll on the side! Kevin has since turned me on to putting shredded cheese on it, too. Never could do that growing up because my Dad made chili SOUP! If you like soupy chili, do like Dad did and add tomato juice.
Happy New Year again, kids! Hope 2009 is the year of the promised CHANGE.
Love to all, Mrs. Gravy

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. Gravy and The Food Lady said...

i love chili and cinnamon rolls!!! it is an awesome combo.

I put cheese,chopped onion, and sour cream on top of my chili, and Frito scoops are often requested by my people. :-)

December 31, 2008 at 2:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home