Mrs. Gravy and the Food Lady

Monday, January 12, 2009

January kinda sucks huh?



It is just me? Or does January just make you want to hide? Stay inside, put away all the Christmas decorations that were "so fun" to get out...UGH. Weather, at least here in Texas, changes daily. Seriously. Today the high was 65. Beautiful. Thursday's anticipated high? 43. Now I know that to most of you, that seems like some sort of tropical heat wave, and I feel for you. I really do. I don't miss below zero and single digit temps. BUT, 20 to 30 degree changes every other day, wear me out. Sweater? Coat? Long sleeves? WHAT? 78 degrees? Short sleeves? Entirely too much thought has to happen in the short time that I have between stumbling out of bed, and getting dressed for work. If anyone could help me find a way to drink coffee simultaneously while showering, please share in the comments!
I really was making a point..and my point is this:
How about this weekend, Saturday or Sunday...or hell even both days...stay in, light a fire. Wear clothes that would be too embarrassing to get the mail in, but are so comfy you cant throw them out. Watch TV, read a book, sleep, play games with your family, whatever trips your trigger, and Make Beef Stew. My Grandma Wanda's beef stew. Super easy & super delicious.
I serve this with heavy buttermilk biscuits, butter and honey. The Pillsbury frozen, southern style biscuits are surprisingly yummy, and you can cook exactly the number you want.

C.W.'s Beef Stew
2lbs Beef stew meat (not browned)
8 Carrots; cut thick
1 Cup celery pieces
3 Large Russet potatoes; cut in chunks (peel em if you like, or not)
1 #2 Can whole tomatoes
1 pkg onion soup mix
4 to 8 oz of sherry (this is a key ingredient)
3 Tablespoons tapioca (dry. yes, like the pudding.)
2 slices of white bread;cubed
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 Tablespoon salt
Dash of pepper, thyme, marjoram, rosemary
1 Pkg. frozen peas
Combine all ingredients except peas and potatoes. Place in a greased baking dish. (i use my turkey roaster pan). Bake covered in 250 degree oven for 6 hours.
Add potato cut in chunks 1 and 1/2 hours before done.
Last 20 minutes add frozen peas and bake uncovered.

Take this out of the oven, throw the lid back on and cook your biscuits...the stew will still be plenty hot when ready to eat. This dish freezes and reheats well. Your house will smell so good!
You might even change your mind about January after all!!!
-The Food Lady

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home