Mrs. Gravy and the Food Lady

Thursday, January 15, 2009

banana bread

When I talked to Kelli last night she said a gal at work wanted a good Banana Bread recipe. I have a pretty good one, but I have to give credit to my sister, Erin. It's easy, and who doesn't love banana bread? But, it's one of those things that even though we use the same recipe, hers is always better than mine! I can't figure out why.... Try it and see how it works for you.

Erin's Banana Bread

1/3 C. shortening
1/2 C. sugar
2 eggs
~blend these together till creamy~
1 1/4 C sifted flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
~mix into creamed mixture until moistened~
1 C. mashed bananas
optional 1/2 C. chopped nuts
~add the bananas and mix well, then nuts if you wish~

Pour into greased loaf pan and bake on 350 for 40-45 minutes, or when a toothpick comes out clean.

That's it. Easy enough, huh? Erin once told me she likes to mash the bananas before she even gets started on the rest so they have time to turn gooey and brown. It does make the bread browner and it looks more appetizing. Maybe one of the differences in our finished product is that I use butter flavor Crisco and she uses regular. I can't taste a difference, but hers is always taller than mine. Neither of us can figure out why that happens. I always try to do this when my baking soda and powder are new because that's the only thing we could figure out. But she'd get the blue ribbon and I'd get an honorable mention!

It would be a good day to bake in the midwest! It's polar bear cold here!! High today of 4... yes, FOUR! The wind finally stopped blowing though. It's been going at close to 30 MPH for about 3 days, and that just makes a person crazy. It was easier to deal with when the high was 34, though!

Hey, does anyone feel like baking cookies again this close to Christmas? I love to bake cookies and have some great recipes if anyone would be interested. Let me know when you're ready!
:)Mrs. Gravy

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blogging sucks.

January 15, 2009 at 9:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The "blogging sucks" comment came from Erin. Sorry ,I just can't remember all my user names and passwords. Evan can you HELP!!!The secret to Bannana Bread is that you have to make two loaves, and give one away. The recipe is probably from the Betty Crocker Cookbookbook. Check yor flour Shannon, I wrote down 3 1/2 cups flour (for 2 loaves) and of course I never measure the bannanas. 6 brown and mushy ones works well. Kelly, thanks for the scalloped ham and potatoes recipe. it was really a nice change from my normal recipes! Erin

January 15, 2009 at 9:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home